Flute Music

By Rabindranath Tagore

Kinu, the milkman's alley
A ground floored room in a two storeyed valley
Slap on the road, window barred.
Decaying walls, windows crumbling to dust in places
Or strained with damp.
Stuck on the floor,
A picture of Ganesha,Bringer of Success,
From the end of a bale of cloth.
Another creature apart from me lives in my room
For the same rent;
A lizard.
There's one difference between him and me:
He doesn't go hungry.

I get twenty five rupees a month
As junior clerk in a trading office.
I'm fed at the Dattas' house
For coaching their boy.
At dusk I go to Sealdah station.
Spend the evening there
To save the cost of light.
Engines chuffing,
Whistles shrieking,
Passengers scurrying,
Coolies shouting.
I stay till half past ten,
Then back to my dark,silent,lonely room.

A village on the Dhalesvari river, that's where my aunt's people live.
Her brother-in-law's daughter -
She was due to marry my unfortunate self, everything was fixed.
The moment was indeed auspicious for her, no doubt of that -
For I ran away.
The girl was saved from me,
And I from her.
She did not come to this room, but she's in and out of my mind all the time:
Dacca sari, vermilion on her forehead.

Pouring rain.
My tram costs go up,
But often as not my pay gets cut for lateness.
Along the alley,
Mango skins and stones, jack fruit pulp,
Fish-gills, dead kittens
And God knows what other rubbish
Pile up and rot.
My umbrella is like my depleted pay -
Full of holes.
My sopping office clothes ooze
Like a pious Vaisnava.
Monsoon darkness
sticks in my damp room
Like an animal caught in a dead trap,
Lifeless and numb.
day and night I feel strapped bodily
On to a half-dead world.

At the corner of the alley lives Kantababu -
Long hair, carefully parted,
Large eyes.
Cultivated tastes.
He fancies himself on the cornet:
The sound of it comes in gusts
On the foul breeze of the alley -
Sometimes in the middle of the night,
Sometimes in the early morning twilight,
Sometimes in the afternoon
When sun and shadows glitter.
Suddenly this evening
He starts to play runs in Sindhu-Baroya rag,
And the whole sky rings
With eternal pangs of separation.
At once the alley is a lie,
False and vile as the ravings of a drunkard,
And I feel that nothing distinguishes Haripada the clerk
From the Emperor Akbar.
Torn umbrella and royal parasol merge,
Rise on the sad music of a flute
Towards one heaven.

The music is true,
Where, in the everlasting twilight-hour of my wedding,
The Dhalesvari river flows,
Its banks deeply shaded by tamal-trees,
And she who waits in the courtyard
Is dressed in a dacca sari, vermillion on her forehead.

16 comments:

Udai Kapila said...

awesome poem
one of my favourites too

Anonymous said...

Thanks dude, I lost my poetry book on the eve of my literature xams...I read it from here...good templae..easy to read..no disgusting ads...add more to the database

Anirudh Mani said...

hey thanks a lot....this poem was missing on my poetry book...so read it here....but on the morn of my exam...thnks a lot!

P said...

try book too :P
you saved me from doooom :D

Unknown said...

This is one of my fav poem!!thx for posting..God bless!

Unknown said...

this is one of my favourite poems i have ever read.

Arkayan said...

Can you tell me the bengali name of this poem plz?????......

Anonymous said...

Its been a while since I read it, brings a smile back......thanks blogger

SONAM GYELTSHEN from Yangszi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suchita said...

Hey, who did this translation? I can't find it anywhere else, and I need the name of the translator. thanks!

electric wind said...

Suchita, this translation is by William Radice.

Unknown said...

Memories of ISC....ultimate joy n pure knowledge

Unknown said...

Good old days

Unknown said...

Takes me back to Circa 2006. How lovely the poems were during our Intermediate Exams.

Nishant singh said...

Old beautiful days,love this poetry,felt that living my school memories while reading this poem,thank you,#nishant singh 2007 isc batch passout.

Mir Hassan said...

lovey poem.reminds my childhood days